IN THE APPOINTMENT DAY
- In the appointment day, you are going to meet Dr. Vitasna for discussion. You will be informed of the procedure details again. You may ask Dr.Vitasna for any additional information including consent forms and post-operative instruction form.
- You may also be asked about the expectations for treatment and if you have any allergies or any condition that wouldn’t make her a good candidate for the procedure, as well as other additional inquiries.
- In case of uncertainty, doubt, worry or unconfidence for the reason of not informing relatives or husband of the procedure, you should postpone the procedure appointment.
ABOUT THE THE SUPRAPUBIC UTERINE SUSPENSION PROCEDURE
- The surgery will be performed in our Operating Room for 1-1.5 hours under general anesthetic by our board-certified anesthesiologist. This problem typically was treated with an abdominal procedure with a horizontal surgical wound over the mons pubis bone (Some women need the surgery with a vertical surgical wound under the navel, e.g., those who have had abdominal operations with vertical surgical wounds.).
- Afterwards, the abdominal wall will be operated layer by layer into the abdominal cavity. The procedure draws each round ligament through the intra-abdominal peritoneum and brings each round ligament lateral to Rectus abdominis muscle. There the round ligaments are sutured beneath the anterior (abdominal) rectus sheath with non absorbable sutures so as to hold the uterus forward and upward. Afterwards, the surgical wound will be covered with a abdominal gauze pack to stop the bleeding.
- For prevention of the urinary retention or difficulty in urination after the surgery, you may be catheterized to avoid the retention urine which may be the cause of cystitis in at least 1-2 days after the surgery.
AFTER THE SUPRAPUBIC UTERINE SUSPENSION PROCEDURE
- After the procedure, you will be monitored at recovery room for 1 hour. When you are conscious with normal vital sign, the anesthesiologist will allow you to be monitored in In-patient Building.
- In-patient Building you will take antibiotic, anti-inflammatory drug to lessen the wound pain, paracetamol drug and laxative. If you have no recovery from the paracetamol drug, you will get the analgesic injection.
- In the first day after the procedure, you should not take a shower which may potentially cause infection ( –perhaps rub the body dry–) ,you are allowed to take a shower in 2 days after the procedure or after the removal of the catheter, which will be the day that you will leave the Hospital.
In the -3rd days of the surgery, Dr.Vitasna will allow you to return home after the following things are checked….
- No abnormal bleeding occurs from the surgical wounds.
- You are asked to well review post-operative instruction care.
- You can have urinated by yourself after the Urinary catheter removal.