IN THE APPOINTMENT DAY FOR THE POSTERIOR VAGINAL REPAIR
- In the appointment day, you are going to meet Dr. Vitasna for discussion. You will be informed of the procedure details again. You may ask Dr.Vitasna for any additional information including consent forms and post-operative instruction form.
- You may also be asked about your expectations for treatment and if you have any allergies or any condition that wouldn’t make you a good candidate for the procedure, as well as other additional inquiries.
- In case of uncertainty, doubt, worry, or unconfidence for the reason of not informing relatives or husband of the procedure, you should postpone the procedure appointment.
- You have to refrain from drinking water or food for at least 6 hours prior to the surgery in order to decrease the risk of food remaining suffocation during or after the procedure.
ABOUT THE THE POSTERIOR VAGINAL REPAIR PROCEDURE
- The procedure is performed in our Operating Room for approximately 1 hour under Intravenous (IV) sedation or general anesthesia by our board-certified anesthesiologist.
- While you are sleeping, Dr. Vitasna will remove an excessive posterior vaginal wall tissues bulging into the vagina. –Thus, the posterior vaginal wall tissues are separated forming a wedge shape or an inverted V shape as Figure. –Afterwards, she will tighten both of the wound edges or two sides of the V shape with slowly absorbable suture beginning with the cervical side.
- Dr. Vitasna will do the suturing and tightening along the entire length of the posterior vaginal wall (see illustration). The suturing is done alternatively with 2 or 3 layers to avoid the post-operative complication such as bleeding.
AFTER THE THE POSTERIOR VAGINAL REPAIR PROCEDURE
- You will be monitored at recovery room for 1 hour. When you are conscious with normal vital sign, the anesthesiologist will allow you to be monitored in In-patient Building.
- Nausea and vomiting may be experienced , as a side effect of the spinal anesthesia or the general anesthesia, but which is noted to be relieved as soon as its effect wears off
- In In-patient Building, you will take antibiotics, anti-inflammatory drug to lessen the wound pain, acetaminophen and laxative drug. In case of no recovery from the acetominophen, you should inform the nurse for the analgesic injection
- Urinary frequency or difficulty in urination may be noted due to the tension of the peri-vaginal opening muscle. As a result , you may be urinary catheterized to avoid the retention of urine which may be the cause of cystitis especially in the first 1-2 days after the procedure. Then, when the tension of the peri-vaginal opening muscle disappears, you will be able to have urination by yourself.
- Within the first day of the procedure, you should not take a shower (–perhaps rub the body dry–), you are allowed to take a shower a day after the procedure or after the removal of the urinary catheter.
- In 1-2 days after the surgery, Dr. Vitasna will allow you to return home after the following things are checked….
- No abnormal bleeding occurs from the surgical wounds.
- You are asked to well review post-operative instruction care.
- You can have urinated by yourself after the Urinary catheter removal.