IN THE APPOINTMENT DAY
- In the appointment day, you will be informed of the procedure details again. You may ask Dr. Vitasna for any additional information including consent forms and post-operative instruction form. In case of uncertainty, doubt, worry or unconfidence for the reason of not informing relatives or husband of the procedure, you should postpone the procedure appointment.
- You have to refrain from drinking water or food for at least 6 hours prior to the surgery in order to decrease the risk of aspiration during or after the procedure.
ABOUT THE PROCEDURE
- The surgery will be performed in our Operating Room for 30 minutes-1 hour under general anesthesia by our board-certified anesthesiologist.
- During the patient’s sleeping, Dr. Vitasna will begin to perform the surgery at the area of the anterior vaginal wall with the surgical wound length of about 1.5 cm., then a special instrument will be used to insert a small 8.5 cm piece of polypropylene mesh under the urethra. The sling cradles your urethra in a position that mimics normal anatomy to give it more support and prevent accidental urine leakage.
- After the surgery you needs to put a vaginal gauze packing in your vagina in 24 hours after the procedure to stop the bleeding and needs to be urinary catheterized for one day.
AFTER THE PROCEDURE
- After the procedure, you will be monitored at recovery room for 1 hour. When you are conscious with normal vital sign, the anesthesiologist will allow you to be monitored in In-patient Building.
- Nausea and vomiting may be experienced, as a side effect of the general anesthesia, but which is noted to be relieved as soon as its effect wears off.
- In In-patient Building, you will take antibiotics, anti-inflammatory drug to lessen the wound pain, acetaminophen and laxative drug. In case of you have no recovery from the acetaminophen drug, you should inform the nurse for the analgesic injection.
- Within the first day of the procedure, you should not take a shower–perhaps rub the body dry–you are allowed to take a shower a day after the procedure or after the removal of the urinary catheter.
In the 1st-3rd days of the surgery, Dr. Vitasna will allow you to return home after the following things are checked….
- You are asked to well review post-operative instruction care.
- You can have urinated by herself after the Urinary catheter removal.
- No abnormal bleeding occurs from the vagina after the vaginal gauze packing removal.