The Clitoral Hood Reduction, or the Clitoral Hoodoplasty, is a surgical method designed to eliminate excess skin located around the clitoris, and also to decrease the length and projection of the clitoral hood.
This structure also called Clitoral Prepuce) is a fold of skin that surrounds and protects the glans of the clitoris; it also covers the external shaft and develops as part of the labia minora and is homologous with the prepuce in male genitals.
This area, like the foreskin is composed of mucocutaneous tissues, which are tissues that are located between the mucosa and the skin. The clitoral hood is also important not only in protection of the clitoral glans, but also in pleasure, as it is an erogenous tissue. When the prepuce or clitoral hood is abundant or excessive, many women become bothered and feel self-conscious.
The Clitoris is a small body composed of spongy tissue. It is located between the labia minora and the clitoral hood. The clitoris is one of the most sensitive parts of a woman’s body. The clitoral glans is shielded by the prepuce or clitoral hood.
General Notes & Precaution about Clitoral Hood Reduction
1) Important points to consider
- This surgery is a cosmetic Gynecology Surgery done mainly to improve the enlargement, the elongation, or disproportioned clitoral hood, caused by genetic, childbirth, or aging. The surgery is mainly performed together with the Labia Minora Reduction or other types of Cosmetic Gynecology Surgery.
- Like any other surgeries, this surgery has limitations and cannot absolutely ensure satisfactory results, because there are so many factors affecting the surgery’s success. The surgical procedure may result to asymmetry and disproportion of the clitoral hood depending on your former clitoral hood structure. In case of unsatisfactory results or complications, correction surgery may possibly be performed as appropriate. You and Dr. Vitasna will discuss the matter together.
- If correction surgery will be done due to the complication of the surgery, all expenses for services and treatment will no longer be charged to you. However, if the unsatisfactory results occur due to the complication from your non-compliance with Dr. Vitasna’s orders, you will be charged accordingly.
- This surgery is not allowed for women with immunodeficiency. In addition, this surgery is not recommended unless you have a discussion with your spouse as this may lead to problems, and misunderstandings caused by refraining from sexual intercourse for quite a time.
- Within the day of the appointment for the surgery, you should not drive yourself after the surgery in order to protect against any accidents caused by dizziness as a result of the sedation.
- You should also take a rest (refrain from work) and be still for 1-2 days after the surgery to enable the wound to heal faster. You should have little movement as possible to avoid wound disruption for 1 week after the surgery, refrain from some types of exercise and sexual intercourse for at least 4-6 weeks after the surgery.
- This surgery is performed in our operating room for approximately 1 hour under Intravenous (IV) Sedation and Local Anesthesia. You have to refrain from drinking water or food for at least 6 hours prior to the surgery in order to decrease the risk of aspirating gastric contents during or after the surgery. This complication is very serious, and you need to strictly follow our recommendations.
Read more about the related issues of the Clitoral Hood Reduction
2) Before the Clitoral Hood Reduction Surgery
- You will be invited to a pre-operative consultation room, where you will be evaluated for surgery. You will be received by a member of the nursing staff in our Center, who will make inquiries regarding your previous medical history as well as arrange for your vital signs such as temperature, respiration, blood pressure, and pulse. In case of existing diseases or drug allergies, please inform the medical staff before the consultation. You should take with you any pills or treatment medications, you are currently taking.
- You can possibly have the surgery done on the day of your consultation depending on the availability of Dr. Vitasna’s schedule. Otherwise, you may book for a possible surgery on the day of your consultation. This you may do through online pre-consultation and arrangement. It is best to undergo the surgery after your period. It is not advisable to do the surgery just before the period starts or during the period.
- A staff nurse will usher you to a treatment room, where Dr. Vitasna will investigate your health history, and conduct both a general check-up and internal check-up. In case you have vaginal fungal or bacterial infection, you should completely treat it before the surgery to avoid wound infection after the surgery.
- After the examination and assessment, you will discuss with Dr. Vitasna about your expectations and concerns. She will then explain to you about the methods (or techniques), processes of the surgery, some potential post-operative risks and complications prior to decision-making. You may also be asked if you have any allergies or any condition that wouldn’t make you a good candidate for the surgery as well as other additional inquiries.
- After you have chosen the best alternative for your case, prices and quotes will be written down with you. —This ends of your consultation.
3) Cost of the Clitoral Hood Reduction
- The cost of the surgery will include professional fees for the anesthesiologist and the surgeon, all the instruments, home medications, and medicines used for the surgery as well.
- Fees for laboratory work or for other existing diseases that you may have, and the professional fees for the anesthesiologist and the surgeon for corrective surgery are not included in the package.
4) Read more about : The Pre Operative Processes on the day of the Surgery
5) The Process during the Clitoral Hood Reduction
- While you are sleeping Local Anesthesia is applied in the surgical area. Dr. Vitasna will then perform the surgery to remove the excessive Clitoral Hood, followed by suturing the surgical wound. The bleeding will be stopped using small dissolving sutures. The suturing is done alternatively with 2 or 3 layers to avoid post-operative bleeding.
Because of technological advances, Cosmetic Gynecology Procedures involving the use of laser has been utilized in Clitoral Hood Reduction. Benefits include more precision and accuracy as a result of surgical wound control, less blood loss, less risk of vessel and lower tissue damage, and quicker recovery time; thus bringing about better results than using the old conventional scalpel procedure.