“Labia majora plasty, labia minora plasty, hymenoplasty, and vaginal repair… refreshing your beloved area.”
Apart from the breasts, the vagina is an inevitably important part of the body to which women pay a particular attention with regards to its shape and healthy condition. At present, an emerging state-of-the-art laser technology is becoming more and more helpful. In this respect, Dr. Vitasna Ketglang, a specialist from Cosmetic Gynecology Center, Yanhee International Hospital, says,
“Recently, laser technology has been utilized for cosmetic vaginal surgery, an apparent advantage of which is that the wound depth can be controlled, and the damages of subjacent vessels and tissues can be lessened, therefore sooner recovery. The current trends for vaginal rejuvenation include the labia majoraplasty, labia minoraplasty, vaginal repair, and hymenoplasty.”
Hymen, the Sign of Virginity
- Hymen can be easily torn by doing exercise, getting an accident, or using a tampon. Most of the hymen-prioritized patients are Middle Eastern women, as they need to bleed on the first night of marriage. The treatment for the case is to fix up the torn thin hymen membrane.
- Also, Dr. Vitasna explains, “It probably doesn’t work methodically 100%; some might as well need a vaginal opening repair (perineoplasty) due to a long-term sexual intercourse and torn perineum. Thus, hymenoplasty on its own doesn’t work, but both procedures are needed all together. Some of the important considerations to be taken are that patients need an hour of post-operative recovery so the physician can monitor the patient before leaving. Patients need a post-operative treatment after one week. Patients need to lie still in bed within the first 2-3 days as well as to avoid neither walking, nor heavy exercises within the first 4 weeks to avoid damaging the wound, tear the wound, and even bleeding.”
The vaginal repair is divided into the following 2 types
1) Vaginal Repair without medical indications are vaginal rejuvenation after pregnancy and delivery, lack of sexual confidence caused by loosened vagina, and lack of sexual pleasure.
2) Vaginal Repairs with medical indications are vaginal rejuvenation for prolapsed pelvis, performed at the anterior and posterior vaginal wall. Generally, the treatment is done with the patients’ ages of 40-50 years or older, with 4-7 days recovery period.
The Vaginal Repair
After pregnancy and delivery of the baby, a woman’s vulva and vagina usually become torn and widened. Severe symptoms may affect their marital life and daily life, which needs the vaginal repair for rejuvenation like teenage girls. The vaginal repair on the posterior vagina wall is a surgery performed for a prolapsed pelvis. This is done as well to correct excessive skin tags and then to stitch up the vaginal wall with absorbable sutures. Post-operative care instructions are certainly important: no walking, lying still in bed in the first 2-3 days after surgery, no running nor heavy exercises in the first 4 weeks to avoid damaging the wound, tear up the wound, or bleeding. Sexual intercourse should be resumed in 6-8 weeks after the operation. A follow up appointment with the doctor is needed to assess/check the wound.
- Some women’s labia minora tissues are large, sagging, or asymmetrical, experiencing pain in wearing tight underwear, so labiaminoraplasty/ reduction will help.
- For some aging women, the fat in their labia majora is becoming more and more atrophied, causing wrinkles. Recently, Labia Lift Surgery, or Lipofilling, has been launched.
- Foreign patients usually prefer the Labia Lift or Lipofilling to avoid the look of large, fat pubis while wearing tight underwear and skirt.
- Another problem encountered by Thai women is the counterfeit silicone filling wanting to make the vagina become plump. On the other hand, the vagina, instead, becomes solidified by the injected silicone and looks unsightly. Labiamajoraplasty is needed to correct this.
- With the labiamajoraplasty and labiaminoraplasty procedures, the patient can, take a shower with soap as usual.
- Soaking is not permissible for a faster healing and to keep the wound dry. Cold compress is applied to the surgical area to decrease swelling in the first 2 days.
- All surgeries have risks. For example, anesthetics may cause dizziness after the operation. Patients who underwent hymenoplasty, if walking hard, may experience bleeding from the wound and may get infected, as it is near the urinary tract and the anus, or the patients with decreased immune system may have slow wound healing.
- Patients with diabetes have to come in for primary consultation with an internal physician to control blood glucose level before the surgery.
Laser technology and the repair
Laser innovation is a new-emerging trend of the state-of-the-art technology for surgery, with the following advantages.
- Helping to close veins and lymphatic vessels, thus less bleeding, better surgical visibility, and, finally, easier operation
- Reducing the rate of vein and tissue damages, hence less adjacent vein interruption and positively faster wound recovery
- Being able to control the wound depth as a result of the wound shallower than that performed by knife, consequently decreased vein damage and vein closing, less bleeding, and less complications
Eventually, Dr.Vitasna concludes, “Vaginal repair isn’t recommended as the solution to your marital problems or in the case when the wife did not inform her husband before making a decision, as the patient has to abstain from sexual intercourse 8 weeks after the operation. If you are still having a problem with your married life, such problem might get worse. Vaginal repair needs a thorough thinking—spouses should have a clear understanding before the operation.”
Tip: It is unnecessary to undergo vaginal repair more than once if the patient no longer wants to have more children.
Contributors & Editorial Advisors
Dr.Vitasna Ketglang, M.D. Khon Kaen University/A Board Certified OB-GYN (Obstetrics and Gynecology) Certificate of Aesthetic Laser Gynecology, Laser Vaginal Rejuvenation (LVR) Institute of America