THE APPOINTMENT DAY
- On the day you plan to have the treatment, you are going to meet Dr. Vitasna for discussion. You will be informed of the procedure details again. You may ask Dr. Vitasna for any additional information including consent forms and post-operative instruction form.
- You may also be asked about your expectations of the treatment and if you have any allergies or any condition that wouldn’t make you a good candidate for the procedure, as well as other additional inquiries. In case of uncertainty, doubt, worry, or not confident for the reason of not informing relatives or husband of the procedure, you should postpone the procedure appointment.
- You have to refrain from drinking water or eating any food for at least 6 hours prior to the procedure in order to decrease the risk of aspiration during or after the procedure.
ABOUT THE A-P VAGINAL REPAIR PROCEDURE
- The procedure is performed in our Operating Room for approximately 1-2 hour under general anesthesia by our board-certified anesthesiologist.
- When patient is asleep, Dr. Vitasna will open and remove the excessive anterior vaginal wall tissues bulging into the vagina. Thus, the anterior vaginal wall tissues are separated forming a wedge shape or a -V- shape--- as figure
- Afterwards, Dr. Vitasna will tighten and suture the wound edges (or two sides of the V shape) with absorbable suture beginning with the vaginal opening. The suturing is done alternatively with 2 or 3 layers along the entire length of the anterior vaginal wall.
- After that, Dr. Vitasna will proceed to the posterior vaginal wall. She will open and remove the excessive posterior vaginal wall tissues .Thus, the posterior vaginal wall tissues are separated forming a wedge shape or a -V- shape--as figure. Then the suturing is done alternatively with 2 or 3 layers along the entire length of the posterior vaginal wall.
- Therefore, the Pelvic Organ Prolapse or the Vaginal Relaxation will be corrected and the vaginal wall will become more strengthened. Vaginal packing is done for 24 hours after the operation to control and stop the bleeding and a urinary catheter will be inserted for 3-5 days after the operation.
AFTER THE A-P VAGINAL REPAIR PROCEDURE
- You will be monitored in the recovery room for 1 hour. When you are conscious with normal vital signs, the anesthesiologist will allow you to be monitored in the In-patient Building.
- Nausea and vomiting may be experienced, as a side effect of the spinal injection or the general anesthesia, but which is noted to be relieved as soon as its effect wears off.
- In the In-patient Building, you will be given antibiotics, anti-inflammatory drugs, pain reliever, to lessen the wound pain and laxative drug. If the pain cannot be relieved from the oral medication, you should inform the nurse for an analgesic injection.
- Urinary frequency or difficulty in urination may be noted due to the tension on the peri-vaginal opening muscle. A urinary catheter may be inserted to avoid urinary retention that causes cystitis especially in the first 3-5 days after the surgery. Then, when the tension disappears, you will be able to void by yourself.
- Clean the surgical wound after defecation then wipe it gently. You are allowed to take a shower on the third day after the procedure or after the removal of the urinary catheter.
3 days after the procedure, Dr. Vitasna will allow you to return home after the following things are checked….
- 1) No abnormal bleeding occurs from the surgical wounds.
- 2) You know and understand the post-operative instruction care.
- 3) You can void by yourself after the urinary catheter removal.