10 Doubtful Questions - Repair, Return Your Virginity
“Repair is not the solution to a marital problem. Before making a decision, you have to know the real cause of the problem, if not, it will not meet your expectations.”
Vaginal repair may have been recently heard about. Some want it and even some need it, but they are so hesitant, doubtful, and embarrassed that they do not dare to express their desire frankly. So we show you some FAQs to help you get to know the “Repair” better.
1. What is the Repair?
- Repair is the surgery to tighten a loosened vagina, caused by long-term sexual intercourse, aging, or delivery. This is the method of the aesthetic or cosmetic surgery because it can meet the patients’ aesthetic or cosmetic needs.
- In some cases, it is a treatment for the conditions caused by a loosened vagina, the stress urinary incontinence, uterine prolapse, and others, all found specifically in the elderly and multiparous mothers.
2. Which type fits you?
- The vaginal repair is divided into the following 2 types. First is to treat the prolapsed uterus causing different conditions and absolutely needing the treatment. The treatment is done stitching up the areas of the anterior and posterior vaginal wall (A-P vaginal repair).
- The other is done, to enhance sexual confidence, stitching up only the areas of the posterior wall of the vagina (P-repair). Recently, the laser surgery innovation has emerged for the purpose of less pain and faster recovery, but more expensive (normal price of approximately 30,000 THB).
- The decision is made by the patient with this regard. If the symptoms affect your health and sexual confidence so much, you may consider the procedure a solution to the problem. Nevertheless, you must consider first if or not such problem can be solved by the treatment, especially in those who need more confidence in their married life.
3. Vaginoplasty vs. Repair
- In our Center we define Vaginoplasty as a procedure similar to posterior vaginal repair, but in the case of vaginoplasty, vaginal tissues removed is lesser than the posterior vaginal repair. This is also indicated for patients who only had a single delivery or a few sexual intercourses.
- Some women request this surgery to tighten the vagina and make it very much like the first sexual intercourse and may be done with hymenoplasty surgery which is usually performed inpatients from the countries or societies which are conservative and concerned of bleeding in the first sexual intercourse. This will work for the women who only had a few sexual intercourses.
4. How to be prepared and recover before and after the Repair
- Before the treatment, the physician normally performs an internal examination for cervical cancer. The patients are instructed not to eat nor drink anything 6 hours before the operation and have to undergo general check-up.
- After the operation, the patients have to refrain from doing heavy exercises for 1 month and resume sexual intercourse after 2 months to make sure the wound is completely healed. Also, the patients should try to lessen movement and walking as possible, for the first 2-3 days after the surgery. Afterwards, in spite of being able to do normal activities, the patient should avoid wound inflammation and hasten wound recovery.
5. Side effect after the Repair
- The vagina has lots of discharges and bacteria and is near the urinary tract and the anus which is a potential cause of infection, and the wound needs a diligent care and is delicate, the patient is at risk of inflammation and infection.
6. Which age prefers the Repair, young or old?
- Interested patients are mostly at the age of 30-50, during the period of the married life and having children. They have come in for aesthetic purposes and to increase their confidence, similar to those at the ages of 20s having the experience of deliveries and sexual intercourse.
- On the other hand, women at the age of 60 or older prefer the treatment for the uterine prolapse.
7. How popular is it among foreigners?
- The Repair, especially for aesthetic purpose, is becoming more and more acceptable and popular. Also, heavy women with the sizes of their vagina and labia conforming to their body size, particularly Australians, prefer to come in to decrease the size of their vagina and labia.
- In Asia, this has been popular in Korea and Japan. Thailand is expected to have the most number of vaginal repair cases.
8. Do men recognize it while having sex?
- After the operation and complete recovery, the Vaginal Repair leaves no suspicious traces or scars at all because of a high of blood circulation around the area. With no hints, even during the sexual intercourse, men do not realize or wonder if or not you had the Vaginal Repair.
9. Do slim or heavy women need the Repair?
- Generally speaking about the body size, slim women are more likely to have an amount of air is released outside during the sexual intercourse, thus lack of sexual confidence , looser and wider vagina than fat ones are , which is as a result of the quantity of the fat in their vaginal walls.
- On the other hand, fat ones have the vaginal wall with more fat, so their vaginas are not loose and wide; anyway, they have the difficulty of pressure weight and consequently the uterine prolapse. In brief, slim ones need the Vaginal Repair for the purpose of the size minimization, while fat ones need it for the treatment of the uterine prolapse.
10. Which case is not recommended by the physician?
- First are the diabetes patients because their wound can be inflamed and be infected easily. In case of uterine prolapse, the patients need operation together with the sugar control.
- The other is the patients whose career involves often going abroad because within 1 week after the operation the patients’ health is not completely ready for any travelling, is at risk of wound disruption and finally inflammation. Each country provides different laws related to the Vaginal Repair. In some countries it is legal yet risky, whereas in others it is illegal. In case of torn wound, the countries considering the Vaginal Repair illegal do not allow the treatment for that, and unluckily it may be left bleeding and harmful.
As mentioned earlier, this issue is dependent on the spouse’s pleasure and decision. Thus, the women who want the Vaginal Repair should carefully ponder before making a decision if or not it will work. Most importantly, a specialist is specifically needed because the Repair is a meticulous surgery in terms of both operation and post-operation treatment, for the purpose of safety and necessary result.
Our Expert’s Health Tips/Column “Talk to the obstetrician”
Dr. Vitasna Ketglang, A specialist in Obstetrics and Gynecology
Cosmetic Gynecology Center, Yanhee International Hospital
Tips : Kegel Exercise helps defer the prolapse. It is another method of pelvis muscle handling to postpone the vaginal prolapse, which, however, has to be done appropriately by a skillful, experienced physician who would recommend the right method for the patients to regularly perform for at least 6 months.